Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tale of the Broken Compass


Lists have been made and packing procedures meticulously practiced.  There is an adventure afoot and thoughts of it have become all encompassing.  Details must be sorted and tickets must be purchased.  The commitment is more than one of mindless detail, however, and I find myself dizzy with contemplation.  It has drained me of most of my reserves and I am battling to rally myself around my daily routine.  I have paintings half completed and ideas brewing for ones yet to be sketched.  My only constant seems to be my writing and even it seems to be suffering as a result of the overload . . . confused and disorganized.  The callouses from repetitive strumming are becoming soft and fragile.  The very fabric of my being seems to be torn into a million fragments.  I have intense desire, but no focus whatsoever.  The compass with which I steer my days seems to be broken.  These days it only points southward.  Locked on a destination that seems vague and foreboding.  It is time to do something rash,  something to distract my weary mind.  Time to make a schedule and stick to it.  With miles left to run and only tired feet to carry me I feel utterly exhausted, yet I feel the need to push forward.  I am beginning to appreciate what those with ADHD have to face day in and day out.  With all of these distractions, who has time to sleep?

The blog has become afflicted with a split personality.  I now write two for every one being posted.  I worry that the overall picture will become blurred, and the work that goes with it, can fill a day all on its own.  I must remember that I have songs to play and paintings to paint.  Things to accomplish before the journey can be completed.  And so, I will endeavor to seek distraction in these activities and pray that it will return some sense of order to my everyday life.  The monotony of the mundane feels meaningless and I desire to get lost in philosophy.  The only thing keeping from doing so is a sense of responsibility.  The realities of life feel as though they work with the exclusive purpose of denying discovery.  A day spent in bureaucracy dampens the spirit even further.  And yet, it was this day that additional discoveries were made.  Discoveries born of the mundane?  Is it possible?   Could it be that the two are not mutually exclusive and indeed foster each other without our recognition?  The answer must surely be yes. 

The day was spent in Bureaucratic hell.  Another trip to the prefecture to ensure that our driving privileges would not be revoked and that I may be allowed to stay abroad for another year.  For everything sterling that I could say about the French healthcare system, the opposite is true for their need to over complicate their bureaucratic process.  An entire day was spent on a process that would take at the very most an hour or two in the US.  The end result of which was not a completion of the project, but merely the beginning.  In the US, we are used to instant gratification with our bureaucracy.  We have a need to leave the office bearing the fruits of our labor.  After a painful four hours in line and the completion some needless forms, we were informed that it would be 6 months before our license would be ready for delivery.  6 months?  For a piece of paper no less.  Not a laminated wonder that fits in the sleeve of one’s wallet, but a bulky chunk of folded paper with one’s picture seemingly glued to the front.  A picture that was not taken on site, but rather procured under my own power at a booth in a supermarket.

To add insult to injury, despite an arrival at 9 a.m., we were informed that the line to get my residency credentials had been closed and I would have to conduct this business elsewhere.  With some assistance, we were told that this could occur at the commune just down the street from our home, and we were off again.  Upon arriving at the local office, we were informed that we did not have the necessary supporting documentation with us and we would be required to take additional photographs.  Back to the supermarket we went.  More photo booth photos in hand, we needed to obtain stamps.  Stamps?  Yes, stamps.  You don’t pay for such items though local government, rather you have to go to a Tabac to purchase stamps in the amount of the transaction.  85 euros worth of stamps to be exact.  An absolutely bizzare process made even more surreal by the fact that a Tabac is the only place these stamps can be purchased.  The best way to describe a Tabac is to liken it to a convenience store.  It is a place to purchase cigarettes, newspapers, curios and a glass of beer or café.  To confuse the process further, a Bar or Brasserie and a Presse have a very similar motif.  To differentiate one from the other is next to impossible unless you know what you are looking for.

We decided that for the sake of variety, we would try to wedge a doctor’s appointment into the mix for my youngest son’s infected eye ball.  Looked like pink eye, but as it turns out was a simple virus that seems to be on the mend.  With a doctor’s appointment under our belt and the appropriate stamps, photos and proof of employment in hand, we returned at the end of the day to finish the necessary paperwork for my residency permit.  I was handed a receipt and told once again that we were looking at a solid month before the official card would be prepared.  For now, we are living our life by way of receipts.  No official documents, just simple promises that we have taken the appropriate measures to ensure our compliance with the law.  Absolutely exhausting, yet enlightening at the same time.  In our daily lives we are forced to make a trade off.  It takes no time to get x-rays and a proper physical, but takes months to complete simple social paperwork here in France .  In the US, it takes months to get the results of your physical and to have x-rays developed, but you can walk out with a driver’s license in hand inside of an hour depending on when you arrive at the DMV.

So, aside from another lesson in perspective, what did I learn?  I learned that while certain processes in life may be a “trade off”, life itself doesn’t have to be.  I don’t have to trade between philosophy and daily monotony, making either my master for a day.  While waiting in line after line, I found myself quite capable of letting my mind wonder into more profound thoughts.  Thoughts of what I now consider omens that others dismiss as mere coincidence.  What is the difference?  I believe there is an order to things.  A path that we all must follow.  The route we are to follow is clearly marked if we simply take the time to look for the signs.  Repetitive themes that follow us throughout our days, leading toward enlightenment if we have the courage to follow them.  When one dismisses these signs as coincidence, we are doing so only because we are spending our days without truly listening.  Letting the daily become our master, we often miss the forest for the trees.  Even worse than that, some of us seem to miss the trees for the leaves.  And then we have the audacity to wonder why we find ourselves lost.  Even on days that feel as though the routine will surely be our end, we have a choice.  We can blindly accept our perceived reality, or we can open ourselves up to ALL of life’s experiences.  For many of us, the scariest thing in life is to admit that there is a place we are meant to end.  The very concept seems to negate our autonomy and our free will.  We want to choose and believe we have the ability to do so.  The truth is, we do.  We can chose to follow the path or go a different way, even if doing so means that we will forever remain lost.  Often times that choice is the easiest to make, and leaving the path far more gratifying that staying on the road.  I see nothing wrong with a diversion as long as you keep your bearings so that you may return to the path.  Remembering always that you have somewhere you must reach . . . a destination.  Perhaps I have already learned a lesson or two in preparation for the Camino.  Thought for the day:  You don’t need a compass if you follow the signs.  They may not always be easy to spot, but if one does not look for them they will certainly find themselves lost.



I know that the contents of this post are somewhat kooky and laced with one man’s search for meaning, but just imagine the content of those that I have kept to myself.  In the end, I seem to have found myself back to where I began with one important difference.  I still have a lot to accomplish, but now know where to find the balance point.  Writing has a way of doing this in my life and it is really the only reason I continue with this project.  This is my counselor, my psychologist, my place to figure shit out.  And with this too, I will find balance.  A balance between a description of our daily adventures and my personal search for meaning.  Both can be a struggle, so bear with me as I sort is all out.  Take care.  R. 

0 comments: