Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 365, the end of the countdown.


The Journey Home . . . All ways lead into one.

This post has been the better part of three weeks in the making.  It has been a month of revelations and sorrows, neither of which played out as I had expected.   I began this post on the flight back to the States and I regret that our social schedule prevented me from jotting down those contemplations that I found myself so burdened with over the last few weeks of our journey.  I now prefer to refer to this project as a journey rather than an adventure as I believe the latter infers a randomness to the order of things.  A journey has an end, a contemplated destination, and in turn a reason.  For many months now I have been haunted by an underlying thought that has ultimately led to the content of this summary post.  For those that shared the holidays with me, you are now aware that while my online writings were not updated regularly toward the end of this year, I was still hard at work.  What started as a simple keepsake for my children has become something more than I would have imagined and led me to a startling conclusion.  Drawn to it like the North star, I have thrown my compass into the river and let my soul burn a path into the future. 

For the longest time I labored under the assumption that this project would continue until I grew weary of it.  I have come to realize that this journey has a very definite end and its beginnings seem less happenstance than it first appeared.  I wish I could put this in more poetic terms than I have thus far and at this point am very tempted to erase it all and start again.  The best that can be said is that this is the road I must travel and I wish you to be my guide.  Confused?  I wouldn’t blame you if you were.  There are a few of you that will soon understand the meaning of the statement and for those that will remain in the dark, please bear with me.  I will now attempt to share with you all that I have learned and experienced over the past several weeks.  I will do so in chronological order in an effort to give meaning to the enlightenment that has followed.  This too will serve as the capstone to the first year of our journey and perhaps the turning point in this series of writings.  Some of this you will understand and some of it may well seem like it was scribed on the wall of a madman’s cell.  Perhaps these thoughts are truly leading me toward madness or perhaps it will end in the enlightenment that I seek.  Only time will tell.  Upon the completion of our thanksgiving feast I found myself a Pilgrim once more.  See you in Santiago . . .  
   
Blogging at 36,000 feet.  Welcome to the mile high club.  Only a few trying hours into our journey and I realized that acclimation to the life I used to have was going to be more difficult than I anticipated.  It seems that somehow I have lost touch with the pleasantries of my native tongue, but we will get to that soon enough.  We went to bed early in anticipation of an equally early rise.  We stuck with that plan to a fault.  Bedtime was 2 a.m. with an alarm set for 3:30.  With around an hour of sleep under our belts, the wife and I woke with a start realizing that we had overslept.  We quickly gathered ourselves and hit the streets.  Turns out that all the luggage shuffling of the wee hours of the morning was not in vain.  At weigh-in, only one tipped the scales.  A pair of pants here and a sweater there soon had the load fully compliant.  The optimist in me decided not to take this as an omen.  I should have listened to my pessimist.  Traveling with two smallish children is challenging enough without additional hurdles to cross.  Unfortunately, we would be doing our best Edwin Moses this particular morning as we navigated the Paris airport with our young brood in tow.  You see, our trip home had been over a year in the making.  We have been scheduled to come back for Christmas since even before we moved to France, so imagine our surprise to be pulled out of line by security and advised that they didn’t show us on our appointed flight.  From counter to counter we bounced in an effort to sort out the details.  Apparently someone saw fit to cancel our tickets just two days prior to our arrival in Paris.  No matter, we are a persistent lot if anything and after four hours of waiting in one line or another we soon had boarding passes in hand.  We felt thankful for the 4 hour layover that at first seemed an inconvenience.  It allowed just enough time for the ticketing disaster as well as the gathering and re-check of our weighty bags . . . unusual and a complete pain in the ass.  The original round trip flight that we were completing (now a year removed) ended in Paris and we drove to BDX, so we had to book a one way ticket back to Paris on our flight home.  This meant we had to check our baggage twice.

This dragging of our luggage while tracking two small children was stressful enough, but we soon found ourselves in the crossfire of an airport strike that was beginning to spool up to an uncomfortable crescendo.  When we made our last escalator, it was clear that the heavily armed SWAT type police types were none too keen about this family being so close to the pending riot.  Apparently nothing dramatic occurred, but the tension was palpable and I would have sworn that these men were on the verge of what would be a very bloody battle.  Nothing says preparedness like a good riot shield and helmet.  We have seen strikes with some frequency here in France, but this was the first that felt like a powder keg.  I was glad to hear the shouting fade behind us as we made our way deeper into the airport.  Soon, safely aboard the good ship lollipop, I found mental distraction in the form of my first transformational awakening of the trip.  This was an “American” plane.  It had come from the States and we would be aboard its return flight.  The importance of this was simple enough yet somehow lost on me for the duration of our flight.  The flight crew was American and all passengers were greeted in English.  The foreign nature of this experience had me lost for words . . . well, lost for words in English anyway.  This virus seemed to be catching as there wasn’t a single member of my merry little band that could break the habit of responding to every inquiry in French.  I thought to myself how absurd it must be to have to re-learn your own language or at the very least a re-learn a certain comfort level when using it in common conversation.  Amazingly, the profoundness of this folly played out in the grandest fashion with our youngest child who seemed to find his French quite useful during our vacation, much to the dismay of almost every waiter we encountered.  The flight over the pond was relatively uneventful, but there was a nagging suspicion that things were not going to play out as smoothly as we had hoped.  There was turbulence on the horizon and it seemed a formidable opponent.

In Paris we had noted that below our flight information there was a small asterisk which read “Fuel Stop Bangor”.  Now I have by no means crossed the ocean with as much regularity as the wife, but neither of us had ever experienced such a caveat before.  Once aboard the plane we discovered that we would be flying in a fairly small craft for an international flight and when paired with an unusually strong headwind, it meant that our flight would not reach Washington DC without having to refuel in Bangor, Maine.  We already had a fairly tight connection to catch and somewhere in between we had to clear customs.  The fuel stop and a burdensome line at customs meant that we wouldn’t be making our next flight.  We were greeted at baggage claim by an agent that advised that we had been re-booked on a flight out the next evening . . . “Merci, Madame . . . shit, Thank You”.  We were advised that we were entitled to a hotel voucher and it would be waiting for us at the customer service desk upstairs.  In addition, if we didn’t need our luggage, it could simply be re-checked and would be waiting for us at home upon our eventual arrival.  We decided to sleep in our clothes and borrow some sundries from the hotel so as to not have to deal with the baggage along the way.

Upon our arrival at the customer service desk we realized we were not alone in our plight.  Not alone indeed.  The serpentine line of international travelers stretched on for what seemed like miles.  Doing what we do best, we split our forces.  The wife patiently waited in line while I tended to the boys and connected portable electronic devices to the airports WiFi service.  Using the eldest boy as a go between we quickly formulated a battle plan.  Having fairly educated and well-traveled parents meant that the boys would not be forced to wait around for the hours that it would take to reach the front of the line.  We bid farewell to the free hotel voucher and promise of a flight the next evening.   Instead, I located a hotel with airport shuttle while the wife called the airline and booked us on a flight first thing in the morning to an undisclosed location in the Midwest.  We had a social affair to get to the following evening and the next available flight to our intended destination was not going to cut it.  We found an alternative travel destination that was within striking distance by car and would have a family member drive a couple of hours to our rescue.  The plan was well executed and soon we were on our way.   I didn’t think much of it at the time, but our attitude toward our difficulties in travel speak volumes about our little clan.  When adversity is thrown in one’s face, you have several options.  One is to accept the hand that is dealt with a demoralized heart while cursing your bloody misfortune.  Another is to simply throw your hands in the air and retreat from the challenge with tears in your eyes.  Our path is neither.  Our path is one of determination and perseverance.  We choose to be active participants in our own lives while never giving in to the intense desire to throw in the proverbial towel.  No tears were shed and we never felt the least bit of sorrow for ourselves and our unfortunate plight.

I marveled at this thought as I watched a twenty-something girl fall to pieces as she advised the party waiting for her at her intended destination that she wouldn’t be on the expected flight.  I don’t presume to know the entirety of her story and the variety of reasons for her despair seem to endless to contemplate.  Regardles of her back story, however, one thing was certain . . . her expectations had been shattered.  It is these expectations that often make us their master and color our perception of the world.  Our time here in France has tempered our philosophical steel to the point that we, as a family, are no longer bound by expectations.  We take life as it is offered and truly play the hand that is dealt.  We don’t just accept cards and hope the dealer busts, nor do we fold when the hand doesn’t look so fair.  We keep playing.  We have learned through life that one road leads to the next and the only way to arrive at our desired destination is to keep on walking.  Our life is our journey . . . our path, and walk it we shall.

The remainder of our trip was spent re-kindling old friendships and leading a gypsy caravan across the midwest in a fashion that wears like an old pair of shoes.  Social engagements were kept and kinships were observed.  By the end of our trip, we had once more become comfortable in our old skin . . . most of us anyway.  The youngest continued to keep us rooted in our trans-continental lifestyle by continually speaking to people in French and demanding baguette when none could be proferred.  It was a joyful trip that I think we were each sad to watch slip away.  I being the most introspective of our group, spent my quiet time (little though there was) lost in thought regarding where we were, where we had been, and where we were going.  Surprised?  Didn’t think so.  Once comfortable in my American skin again, I marveled at how seemingly friendly Americans seemed when compared to the French.  For the briefest moment I puffed up my American chest and took pride in my countrymen.  Like a slap across the face, I had a realization.  My countryman are not friendlier than the French.  Not by a long shot.  The difference?  It was I who was friendlier to them and my zeal was infectious.  I had spent the last year in relative solitary.  Living life as an essential mute.  The ability to speak in my native language had freed me.  I felt pardoned.  Leaving an imprisonment that had locked me away from the rest of the world.  For this I was greatful, not saddened.  Greatful not for the freedom, but for the imprisonment.  I realized that I had wasted this freedom in a previous life.  Hateful and cold.  Keeping people at a distance and unwilling to learn lessons that others had to teach.  My solitude has taught me to relish in truly getting to know others, whether they be French or American or somewhere in between.  Becoming French has made me a better American.  This was not the lesson I expected to learn.

I expected to be offended by the obesity and the boorishness of the American culture that I have drifted away from in the past year.  And yes, we are a fat and lazy lot, no better and no worse than the rest of the world . . . just different.  I could not help but wonder what had made us so different and why we had become the type of people I had detested in my mind.  I believe the truth is in our age.  We are young.  Well fed, as infants are.  Never denied anything for the sake of the family and given enough of mother’s milk to keep our cheeks fattened and rosey.  American’s live as children do.  Little care for the realities of life with no desire for the responsibilities that our parents have had to bear.  We are an immigrant lot and our parents are growing old overseas.  They have learned lessons we have not yet faced and adapted their aging ways to meet the demands of growing older still.  We are fat because we are wealthy and well nurtured.  The realities our parents have faced are just now furrowing our brow.  Our parents were fat once too.  It was a historical sign of wealth and prosperity.  If you question this at all, please refer to the great masters’ works at your local art museum.  Perhaps Rubens did it best, but there is a theme across centuries and styles that cannot be denied.  Our obesity is not an illness, but a symptom of an all-together different disease.  Our youth and this disease contributes not only to our physical appearance but our personalities and social decorum as well.

Again, like children, we are brash and senseless . . . leaping before we look.  Our emotional outbursts filling the school yard with both joy and strife.  A cacophony of noise that the elders find distasteful.  They were young once too, but how soon the mind forgets the follies of childhood.  Yet, like children we are a magnet.  Something to behold.  Something to gravitate toward if only for a moment.  Visit a park and see where you are drawn.  To the sandbox with the snotty nosed toddler or to the park bench next to the old man reading his newspaper?  Most would choose the sandbox, at least until one of the little bastards wiped his snot on your sleeve.  Yet the seat next to the old man deserves some wear.  He deserves our time.  Some children know this.  It is where wisdom lies.  When all others ignore his angry appearance and walk hurriedly on their way to avoid his steely gaze, one child will inevitably fill the seat next to him.  One child will not be afraid or intimidated.  Like bookends they will sit in silence, aware of each other’s presence and giving each other a great deal of thought.  The brightest of the two will eventually break this silence, both their lives bettered for the exchange.  I wish to be this child, and I wish to break this silence.  I want to learn from the elders and then return to them the passion of my youth.  And so, by the end of our trip, exhausted from my travels with my belly well-tended,  I (of our four) was the only one ready to return.  Perhaps I have an old soul, but a great part of me missed the old man on the park bench.  And though I know he grows tired of my presence and a part of me desires to rejoin my friends in the sandbox, I feel the need to learn the lessons yet taught and share my youthful ardor.

So what of this disease?  What is it that keeps us fat?  It is, after all, the reason so many of us stay in the sandbox in fear of that old man.  In truth, it is the same reason the old man chooses to hide behind the daily news and yells at the kids to stay off his lawn.  The disease is PRIDE.  Our inability to learn from others, regardless of their stage in life will always be our undoing.  Believing as both sides do, that their way is in fact the better, will leave the child a fat little scourge and the old man alone in his death bed.  And so it is this that I leave you with after one year in the trenches.  Living a life on both sides of the pond has found me for the better.  I choose to live my life as I tell my kids, taking the best from my own parents.  And that which is not for hand-me-downs, I choose to toss in the garbage.  I know now that there is a truth I must find on this journey that we now travel.  An intense desire for inspiration and some enlightenment pushes me forward with certain omens as my guide.  I have a hint there is God in this and it is he that I must find.  I seek life’s lessons and universal truths, but know that I can never learn them all.  And so, I will journey as all Pilgrims have, forever walking forward.  It is this reason and this reason alone that I will see you in Santiago.  R.

0 comments: