Monday, January 16, 2012

Aristomatic Car Audio Installation

Having been back in France for a whole week, my wife seemed to feel the need for social engagement.  Not yet being completely steady on my French feet, I must admit that I was none too keen on the prospect.  As is usually the case in my life, my wife knows best, so I reluctantly agreed to the evening out.  Though my heart was not initially in it, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening among new found friends.  The cast of characters was eclectic.  Our hosts . . . wine makers.  Location . . . their lovely chateau in a well-known neighboring village.  Two other couples would join in the festivities and for once, I would not be in the minority.  This would be a meeting of legal minds . . . sort of.  I am not sure I would call mine a “legal mind”, but two of the other invitees were also attorneys.  One was French Canadian gentleman who personality so agreed with my own that we are now in the process of setting up a second meeting of our own.  The other was a Parisian woman who practiced in the criminal arena and seemed to miss the faster pace of the big city legal game.  She was very pleasant in her own right, with a very expressive manner, but not as easy to get to know from first impressions.  We ate, drank and conversed until the wee hours of the morning.  Well, they conversed.  The wife and I just sort of smiled and nodded as though we understood.  The further into the evening we got, the less I understood.  A liberal application of libations has a way of turning very considerate slow French and occasional English translation into a blur of babble that I could only catch a word of two of.

Our hosts were tremendous and I learned a great deal from the evening.  I had a nice conversation with the lady of the house regarding the state of the wine making industry that made me feel sad for the direction it seems to be heading.  What I love most about France is the preservation of the artisan nature with which all endeavors are carried forth.  It would seem that this is seeing its final days here to some extent, and to hear that from the horse’s mouth was a sobering experience.  We have murdered this sentiment in the US and are NOT better for the killing.  Automatic for the People huh?  Uniformity and automation for the sake of uniformity and automation.  That kind of homogenization has killed small business in the US and makes it next to impossible to get a nice loaf of Brioche . . . I know from experience.   That being said, I don’t want to get too political here.  I have had enough of that in the past.  It was a pleasant evening with brilliant people (whom I will describe further as relationships develop) which gave way to a weekend full of preparations for future travel and a week without mom.

We used the Nationwide soldes as an excuse to outfit ourselves for our upcoming ski trip into the Pyrenees.   As the saying goes . . . “as long as you are taking the cow to market . . .”, so against my better judgment I purchased a discount car stereo to fill the gap in the center of the dash of the now famous 206.  Handling installation myself, I learned a very valuable life lesson.  Self-sufficiency leads to lacerated fingers.  A good friend recently tried to relieve himself of several digits at the hands of a circular saw in the name of "do-it-yourself", and though my injury is a scratch in comparison, the SpongeBob bandaid adorning my middle finger doesn’t make me feel terribly “handy” . . . pun intended.  And so, the weekend melted away like they always do, and the dawning of the new week has me back at the helm of our ship without my usual co-pilot.  The wife is setting up shop in Portugal for the week, so just the lads and I are holding down the fort here in France.  I realize that I have become so accustomed to this way of life, I hardly notice her absence anymore.  That is not to say that I don’t miss her tremendously, but the day to day must carry on as it always does.  Trips to and from school with homework to complete and bedtimes to be observed.  The only notable exception was that I used a late bedtime and early rise to see the wife off on her trip as an excuse not to do a damn thing today other than the absolute necessities.    The boys prefer simple food and could give a damn whether their bed is made or not, so I took the day off with the exception of a few dirty dishes that needed some serious attention.  Though the relaxed pace felt good, I know it did nothing but create at mountain of work for tomorrow, but what the hell . . . tomorrow is a new day, right?  R.

0 comments: