Sunday, October 16, 2011

Peanuts, Tree nuts, Strawberries and Corn . . . calling bullshit on the boy in the bubble.

Ok, this one isn’t for the weak of heart, so if calling names and wounded puppies make you cry you might want to look away.  Remember, I lack an edit button and have been frankly irritated for most of the day, so hold on tight for my next emotional outburst.


What the hell has happened to the children of the world?  Why suddenly is little Johnny so afflicted with allergies?  These days you can’t send your child to school with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for fear its mere presence in the lunch room will afflict grievous bodily harm to the weakling across the table.  Ok, ok, compassion is perhaps not my strong suit, but something has to give.  In a “ I used to walk to school uphill both ways without shoes in the middle of winter” moment, I lost a bit of my lady like demeanor and let the eldest hear a salty dissertation on the perils of childhood that doesn’t include lactose intolerance.  There are children all over the world that are afflicted with truly horrific medical ailments.  Diseases that would make your toes curl.  I have been fortunate enough in my life to volunteer for a few years at a children’s hospital and the triumphant spirits of truly ill children will be something that I carry with me for the remainder of my days.  Feel sorry for yourself for a split second and a truly ill child will put you to shame.  That being said, I find it very hard to concern myself with the plight of neophyte parents whose biggest concern is that the ingestion dairy products makes little Timmy a bit gassy.  I just don’t recall this being a hot button issue from my childhood.  Perhaps it was because all those children so afflicted had suffocated from a closed windpipe before the age of 5 or maybe their parents simply didn’t care enough about them to seek medical treatment for their “condition”.  Either way, I don’t recall special concessions being made to facilitate the hypochondria that seems so rampant among today’s parental scene.  The more shocking ailment in my mind is this generation’s allergy to solid parenting and a hard day’s work.  They seem to prefer to blame everyone but themselves for their children’s behavior and pseudo medical needs and then ask themselves why their child is so unfortunate.  Here is a novel idea Sparky, spend some time reprimanding your spoiled shit of a child and quit coating their filthy little fingers with anti-bacterial gel.  When I was a kid we dressed our wounds with dirt and ate bugs.  We damned sure didn’t run to the doctor for antibiotics every time we got the sniffles and you had to have damned near lost and appendage before a band-aid was applied.  So, what in the hell has happened?  Has reverse Darwinism become the norm?  If so, I want off of this train.  We are somehow managing to work our way down off of the pointy tip of the food chain.  I dare not ask “what’s next” because if this trend continues future generations will most certainly be lost.  I think of only one real solution.  This weekend, take Jr. out on the town and let him lick the floor of a city bus.  After a nice picnic lunch made from whatever semi-edible items you can find out of the closest dumpster let them freshen their breath with a little sidewalk gum.  That should fix them up new again and we can all get back to the more important childhood issues, like  . . . oh, I don’t know . . . literacy.

To be honest, tonight I must stop while I’m ahead, as my dissertation on childhood obesity is likely to alienate whatever readership I have left.  If you want to hear it, by all means let me know, but I think I have said my final words and counted to three.  Oh, and for those of you that are wondering, the title of this entry was inspired by a child my eldest went to school with back home that was apparently allergic to all items listed.  I didn’t even know you could be allergic to corn.  I always wanted to ask if it was just off the cob or the popped variety as well.  The latter would sure make movies a drag.  I myself like mine with extra butter and have been known to eat the pieces I accidently dropped on the theater floor.  See you all at my next sensitivity training.  R.

1 comments:

citoyen.kim said...

I wanna hear about the fat kids in France.