Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 211 through 214, I THINK


Joyeux Anniversaire . . . Enlightenment 37 Years in the Making

As I take my first steps into the 38th year of this adventure that I call “my life”, I realize that I have only come up with three certainties to hang my proverbial hat on.  First . . . don’t sweat the details . . . and it is ALL details.  Second, we are all going to die eventually.  And third, and perhaps the most important . . . everything is better with bacon.  So, before I take my leisurely shuffle off of this mortal coil from a bacon induced coronary, I think it is time to reflect on where I have been and take stock in where I am heading.  Truth be told, I have heretofore lead a semi-charmed kind of life (thanks Third Eye Blind).  Despite my continual efforts to ass things up a bit and make rash decisions in life that should never work out, things have somehow always fallen into place.  To say that I am not risk adverse would be an understatement and when you combine that mentality with a spouse that is always double dog daring you to jump, you have the makings for an inevitable disaster.  As a parent, I spend a fair amount of my time defining excellence for my two young men that need a beacon on the horizon to guide them along their journey.  By my estimation, there are two ways to obtain excellence.  Being “the best” or being “pretty good”.  Confused?  Think of it in medical terms.  One can either choose to be a general practitioner or find a specialty to invest  your soul into.  I have always been the former.  A jack of all trades . . . master of none.  I have never considered myself the best at anything.  I am however, “pretty good” at almost anything I put my mind to.  For instance, I am in pretty good shape, I am pretty good at sports, I was pretty good at school, I am a pretty good husband and a pretty good father. . . etc, etc, etc.  The alternative, of course, is to be the best in one or more of these categories.  One could be the epitome of fitness, a professional athlete, a decorated scholar, father of the year or the husband that never forgets a birthday.  I am none of these, and few are fortunate enough to be the best at everything in their lives.  I have found that being “pretty good” at everything has led to my own personal excellence.  So, on which side of this coin my children fall matters not as long as they remember what I have taught them.  Whether they are the “best” at one particular thing and a disaster at the next or are “pretty good” at everything, the key is to poor their heart into everything they do and the end result will inevitably be excellence.  .

This fine morning leaves the Jack Butler Hotel once more vacant and lonely.  We truly enjoyed the time with our visitors from home and were quite sad to bid them farewell.  The anxiety was somewhat lessened with the knowledge that we would see them all again very soon.  For now, we will transition back into our normal day to day routine and enjoy the turning of the seasons.  The weather has been phenomenal over the past two weeks and to call it “Fall” would be a bit premature.  The chill in the morning air, however, pays homage to the fact that winter is on our doorstep.  Leaves are falling despite the warm daytime temperatures and the sweet smell of the local harvest fills the air.  We have seemingly survived the growing pains of moving overseas, changing schools and houses and in the grander scheme of things generally turning our world upside down.  It is time now to remain still for a bit and let it all soak in.  These are the salad days.  We have managed to return to the life we led back home.  Work, School and Play . . . the usual mix of activities that we know to be our life.  The eldest has returned to sport and has resumed his training in the martial arts.  He is very pleased with this and as a result has a returned spring in his youthful step.  He is a sporty lad and it is a much shorter list to describe those activities that he does not participate in.  He is an All American kid with a European swagger.  Loves and plays all sports with a fair level of proficiency yet remains faithful to his studies.  The little brother?  Not to be dismissed as a spare has a dazzle all his own that can’t be denied.  He is beginning to show signs that the language is sinking in and emotional growth is evident.  Independent as the day is long, keeping him under wraps so to speak is a daily chess match that he seems far better at than I.  Both children seem to be absorbing the lessons we hoped they would learn from this experience and while slow and frustrating, the language barrier is slowly starting to crumble.  We are an impatient lot, so “soon” is never soon enough, but I have confidence that both children will be fully bilingual in the end and have ultimately bright futures down whatever path they choose.  As for me, I have taken the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference.

So, in the end, I hope that when I do finally lay this life to rest they will inscribe on my tombstone:  “Here lays Jack Butler, a pretty good guy.”  That is all I have for today and this project feels as though it is in many ways coming to a close.  I haven’t decided yet where to go from here, but will let you know when I figure it out.  Goodbye for now.  R.

0 comments: