Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 11

The journey of 1000 miles begins with one step . . . and then another . . . and then another . . . and then another.  Hey, I am not quitter, but at mile 25 I am going to say "fuck it" and head back home.  I walked my ass off today and my feets is burnin.  My bride took off with the the rental this morning which left me and the boys hoofing it for the school house.  Yet another traumatic drop off during which they sort of peeled the youngest off of me like the paranormal investigator peeled his face off in the first Poltergeist movie.  That damned movie still scares the bajesus out of me.  Go away from the light Carol Anne!  As it turns out, his fit was short lived and he had a wonderful day at school.  The problem with dropping off the kids on foot is that they have to be picked up by the same means.  I took that same Journey 6 times today to be exact.  The first leg was a breeze.  Smart enough to bring along the stroller to cart the 3 year old.  Received some strange looks on my way back to the hotel with an empty stroller.  I thought it might make more sense if I seemed mentally unbalanced, so I cursed out loud alot and occassionally swung my hands above my head as if fending off a swarm of invisible bats.  After that, people stopped even noticing the empty stroller.

Upon returning the stroller to its home, I was back out the door to sort things out with the mobile phone vendors.  I settled on Orange which seems to be one of the largest carriers here and is certainly one of the most recognizable.  I got the works with a side of gravy.  Didn't spare any expense.  Didn't have too.  Let me tell you kids, they are ripping us off back home.  I splurged for the full compliment of satelite television, fixed phone, highspeed internet and the coolest damned windows based cell phone I could find and didn't even crack the $100 per month mark.  I can call everyone and everywhere for FREE.  That's right, FREE . . . and thats from our land line.  Unfortunately, this purchasing frenzy put me a bit under the gun on the noon pick up deadline at the school.  I was quite a ways further now from the school than my hotel and had not quite enough time to get there at a comfortable pace.  Wheezing and clutching the school door for support I made it right under the wire.  Small oversight . . . no stroller.  No way this kid is going to make the voyage back to the hotel under his own power.  Way to far for such short legs.  Nothing else to do but throw him up on the shoulders and head off again.  I don't know what this kid has been eating, but it wouldn't hurt him to miss a meal or two.

Had just a moment or two of rest back at the hotel to play with my new toys and then it was time to head back to the school for Round 5.  Unfortunately, we had lingered at the room just long enough for the little one to slip into a post lunch coma.  In an attempt to gently slip his coat on his shoulders and mud boots on his feet, I woke the sleeping dragon and boy did I get burned.  He went ape shit.  Arms and legs flailing about as if the were independent of the rest of his body.  If I hadn't been on a deadline, I would have run in fear.  Standing back it looked like a scene out of the Exorcist.  I am obviously on a horror film kick here . . . lets see if I can keep it going.  Once restrained and relatively clothed, I attempted to put him in the stroller so we could set out.  He decided he would pull out the time tested toddler favorite . . . the wet noodle.  You know the routine, you set them upright in the stroller and as you walk around back they involuntarily slump over, eyes rolled back in their head and sort of ooze out onto the floor.  After three or four attempts we were out of options.  This kid was going to have to be carried.  And while he seemed to be happier with this option, it didn't stop the wailing.  Out on the street we were making such a ruckus that cars were pulling over to yield right of way for what was surely an emergency vehicle approaching from behind.  Nope . . . just us silly American folk with our ill tempered children.  Good times.

He had finally calmed by the time we reached the School to pick up the bigger one.  After a short meeting about the upcoming class trip to Wales we started back for the hotel.  Limping around the last corner and perhaps in need of an emergency ACL repair, I was never so glad to catch site of our home away from home.  Back at the Bates Motel, we settled in for the afternoon to await my better half's arrival after a long day at the office.  She arrived with a bit of a surprise.  We had to return our car today and rather than simply re-issuing her the same whip for the remainder of the week, they had her bring it in for some service and issued her a new ride . . . Lord won't you buy me a MERCEDES BENZ!  Now were talking!  Actually, I don't know if this is a step up or a step down from our little VW.  You see, the MB doesn't quite hold the same prestige here as it does at home.  It seems to be the urban workhorse vehicle and can be more often found in commercial use than in personal transport.  From moving vans to trash trucks, from city busses to tractor trailers, there doesn't seem to be an inappropriate use for this stately german mark.  The car with the three pointed star is a working man's vehicle . . . the equivilant of our beloved Ford F-150 with rubber floor mats, gun rack, and a big ass dent in the fender.

Our little benz is everything you would expect it to be.  Simple, oddly shaped, and well engineered.  No extra buttons on the console.  Just plain ole fashioned reliable transportation.  I already miss the VW.  It is of little concern though, because soon we will take possession of our permanent vehicles and oh the times we will have.  In fact, I may try to ship my little "Lion" home with me when we return.  If I fold the mirrors in, I think it will probably fit in my carry on.  More walking on schedule for tomorrow, assuming I can get out of bed.  Only two trips this time as we will be treated to one of the unique features of this new culture . . . half days.  School lets out for the eldest at Noon tomorrow and the youngest doesn't attend at all.  I don't know what we will do for the rest of the day, but I hope the boys suggest a nice long nap.  Keep your fingers crossed.

0 comments: