Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Me and my 206: This year’s love revisited


She has seen me through good times and bad.  She has overlooked wrong turns and poor judgment.  Many months have now passed since I chose my date for the prom.  I looked passed the athletic physique of the cheerleading squad and turned my ear away from the captain’s siren song.  I ignored the gentle curves and tempting advances made by the homecoming queen.  In a sea of possibilities I chose the girl at the back of the room.  Quiet and reserved, she sat there casting judgmental stares at the other contestants.  It seemed she questioned my motives.  After all, she had better things to do.  Chess club, band practice . . . college entrance exams.  With her hair pulled back in a ponytail, she had little interest in making a scene.  She didn’t want to be noticed and had no intention of attending the dance.  She was classy and timeless.  Self-confident, though her exterior said otherwise.  And just like that, I asked her to be my date.  Reluctantly, she agreed.  She was young, but not too young.  In her Junior year perhaps.  After that first date, we fell in love.  She has remained my low maintenance companion and able taxi for my young.

She has blossomed from an awkward kid into a beautiful young woman.  We know each other better now, and the honeymoon phase is over.  She knows my faults and I know hers, although I am surprised daily by the twists and turns along the way.  She is spry and nimble, the perfect companion for long trips down winding vineyard byways.  Then, with no warning at all, she becomes unfaithful.  Cheating on me with an ice skate.  The attributes that had made her so gleefully agile and my automotive soul mate, lift her ass like a plastic surgeon when the roadways get the slightest bit glossy.  Her personality splits and I see a side I have never seen before.  Insecure, questioning my every request.  Swinging wildly from one extreme to the next.  Attempting to end my life in a single bend, then apologizing profusely at the next.  What gives?  Is the romance gone?  How could she betray me like this?  I have given her everything.  I have bought her nice things.  A symphony to fill the hole her prior suiter had left behind, a personal assistant to make certain she is always on time and never lost along the way.

And so it goes, with loves sweet sting.  Our trust has been shattered.  When she is not looking, I watch as other more attractive options pass us by.  I turn my head to watch their shapely rear bumper and soft red taillights fade into the distance.  She pretends not to notice, but we both know she does.  So, now we are forced to share our lives for the sake of the children.  We agree to co-exist till they are grown and no longer need us to transport them to and fro. The breakup will be difficult and custody will be left to the courts.  Reconciliation seems impossible and one day I will trade her for a younger model . . . a Volkswagen maybe.

1 comments:

Jim said...

I also discovered that ballerinas are not ice skaters.