Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 202 through 205


The Jack Butler Hotel

Once again we have illuminated the “No” on the vacancy sign out front of the ole Jack Butler Hotel as we are preparing for guests come morning.  This time it will be the other half of my wife’s parental units and we are indeed looking forward to the visit.  I need deodorant and the children are desperate to embark on the side trip we have planned to Disneyland Paris.  There is but one small hiccup at the Hotel, and that hiccup has management in an uproar.  As you all know by now, my current scale for a successful hotel stay is the availability of a free WiFi connection.  Unfortunately, the internet woes at the Jack Butler Hotel persist and I have to give the JBH two thumbs down for their lack of workable WiFi.  We have a connection, slow though it may be, however it is a bit confusing and apparently runs much like a prepaid wireless phone.  Your subscription pays for a certain amount of data at a certain speed, and once you are done . . . YOU ARE DONE.  They are of course kind enough to allow you to purchase and extra Giga or so at an elevated rate for those suckers that weren’t smart enough to go all in for the highest price package.  Yup, Jack is one of those suckers.  We hit the screen of death just a week in and had apparently run through our entire months allotment of credit in that short time.  Perhaps we were surfing more than usual in a binge and purge reaction to our recent internet starvation diet, but one thing is clear . . . this isn’t going to work out as currently configured.  Telecommunications has proven to be an absolute nightmare since our move and the cost seems to be increasing by the day.  The satellite television is free except for installation and the boxes which cost a small fortune.  The monthly rate on my mobile phone is hardly worth the price of admission since I can scarcely receive the slightest of signals here in the sticks despite a recent SIM upgrade that was supposed to remedy the problem.  To add insult to injury, most of the buttons on Bill Gate’s wonder machine have busted and the screen looks like the windshield of a Kia after a serious collision with a large woodland creature.  The fine folks at Orange have outfitted us with a home phone, so we should be able to call back home again without draining our bank account.

Despite our telecommunications woes, we are going strong and the children seem to be absorbing the language at a prodigious rate.  That is what happens when you get thrown in to the deep end without your floaties . . . you either sink or swim.  Fortunately, both of my guys float pretty well and their educational endeavors are going quite well.  On my end, I am making fast friends with the neighbor.  He and I now see each other with some frequency and we share romantic evening walks down the lane as we drag our trash containers to the end of the road for the following days collection.  The harvest is in full swing and tractors are constantly running back and forth to the fields collecting the fruits of their labor (pun intended).  I have used our trash day walks as a way to learn more about the grape growing process and it is all quite fascinating.  We have not been asked to assist with any of the farming yet, but we are keen to dig a little deeper.  We have offered the occasional assistance with language for labeling to be used in the US market and I offer what I can by returning the trash can from the end of the drive whenever I retrieve my own.  We have actually become friendly enough to be invited to the theater next month.  The truth is, membership has its privileges.  As it turns out, a theater group from the big city has expressed an interest in taking their act on the road and their chosen venue will be the castle next door to my home.  The owners appear to be avid theater goers and were gracious enough to invite us over for the dinner theater to take place at their home in October.  Looking forward to that event as it will certainly prove to test and expand my knowledge of the French language.  I still suffer with it a bit, for those interested in such information.

That is really all that is fit to report for now and I will try to sneak online with Ninja quickness to post this thing before my internet connection runs out of credits and I have to insert more tokens.  Feels kind of like surfing the interent at a laundro-mat or self service car wash.  All I need is one of those change dispensers and a beeping  noise whenever my time is getting ready to run its course.    In parting, it seems that the broken toe on my right foot is healing and causes less pain with each day that passes.  I am able to run on it a bit and cycling does not seem to be a problem, so all is well that ends well.  The only problem now is that my feet are becoming as ugly as my wife’s.  Ok, I know what you are thinking, and I love the woman dearly, but she has got some ugly ass feet.  They look like they belong on Fred Flintstone and unfortunately mine aren’t now far behind.  Bent and mutilated like a half-eaten crunchy Cheetoh, both of my smallest toes seem to now merely act as my remaining toes ugly friend.  You know what I am talking about right?  The ugly friend ploy that reasonably attractive women use when going out to make themselves look even better?  That is how my big toes treat my little toes.  I am afraid the hurt feelings are going to lead to a revolt or at the very least self esteem therapy for the lot of us.  Take care for now.  Talk again as soon as I feed more coins into the slot.  R.

0 comments: