Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 192 through 196


Deliberations at Daybreak . . . Flied Lice for Breakfast

I realize it has been many days since my last post and I have likely alienated what remaining readership I have left.  I would like to say that this fine morning finds me with a robust internet connection and a hat full of ideas, but unfortunately neither is the case.  It was suggested to me recently that locating the Holy Grail might be a more worthy and fruitful quest than obtaining a French internet connection, and at this point I might have to agree.  Indiana Jones himself would be unlikely to find the clues necessary to unlock this riddle.  I am at this point only lacking one final piece of the puzzle, before I am able to finally surf the internet and watch meaningful television.  The new ETA is midweek, but again I find myself blue in the face from holding my breath.  We will see what happens.  In a feeble attempt to catch up on a week’s worth of activity, I will do my best to recap the highlights for you now.  The middle of this prior week found Mom returning from distant lands to join us in the pursuit of academia.  The boys seem to have adjusted well to their new learning environment and time will tell exactly how difficult this adjustment proves to be.  The youngest has few concerns as the curriculum is primarily play based and you don’t have to have a stellar understanding of the French language to finger paint.  As for the eldest, that is a horse of a different color.  The homework has been difficult and plentiful to say the least.  Both boys love their new school and have a bright outlook on the future, but the eldest has a tall hill to climb that has already caused a tear or two to fall.  We have played this scenario well and the collateral damage has been minimized due to repeated warnings of the tough times ahead.  Nobody said this was going to be easy, but the reward will be far more than even I could have anticipated.  The truth of the matter is, this language is difficult enough that even at the 4th grade level, the readings are elementary indeed.  As I have indicated in the past, my eldest is able to polish off and adult level novel in his mother tongue in about a week and he is unlikely to see comparable text in the French system until the University level.  That being said, a simple 30 page book full of illustrations is enough to cripple even the wife and I, so I can only imagine how daunting it must seem from his vantage point.  There are some refreshing differences to his new curriculum that I don’t recall from my American education at this same age.  The eldest curriculum has so far included math, which is his strong suit and seems on par with that he would be experiencing back home; literature, which again is classical, but somewhat behind his reading level if not for the language barrier; Geography, which is obviously more global in its scope than that found in the US; and finally, Poetry.  No shit . . . Poetry.  God bless the French.  Being able to recite French poetry by heart is likely to get him his fill of feminine affection as he grows older.  Lucky bastard.

Socially, life is good for the boys.  Being the foreigner has its advantages.  Full of mystery and allure, everyone at the school knows them by name and making friends has proven to be an easy feat for both lads.  Kids share a common language, the language of childhood.  Neither needs to understand the words spoken to understand each other’s meaning.  That has truly been a blessing and has made this transition a bit easier than I had anticipated.  The same can’t be said for those of us on the PTA.  I can’t say that the parents want much to do with me and I slip in and out of the school like a ghost with little conversation or eye contact.  We adults have much more social baggage that prevents us from making acquaintances as readily as our children often do.  I have exchanged pleasantries with the youngest’s teacher, but had not even met the eldest’s until the second day of school.  The meeting was unfortunately not by chance.  The courtyard in which recreation is observed is a cramped area that is a teaming mass of chaos while the children are at play.  The eldest was the victim of a head on collision during a misguided game of tag.  The wreck left him with a skinned elbow and a couple of healthy contusions to the skull.  Now, this was of some concern to his instructor who walked him out after school to explain the circumstances of the incident.  The best I could work out was that he hit his head and she had applied a cream to the affected areas.  Funny stuff.  I understood some of what she had said and knew from the conversation that his head was ill and that some treatment had been rendered.  After an interrogation of the eldest, it seems he and another child collided while running in the courtyard during recreation which left both children with head injuries.  While perhaps mildly concussed, I had little worry about the physical state of my child.  His career as a martial artist and football player has rendered his dome something akin to a piƱata, so a blow to the head is not likely to knock anything looser than it already is.  He is on the mend and so far he doesn’t seem to have a stutter or anything that is going to require intensive therapy to heal.

While the boys have been hard at work, I have been hard at play . . . sort of.  The extra time I now have during my day has allowed me to shift my quest for physical fitness into overdrive.  Alternating between heavy doses of running and cycling has left my lower extremities a wreck.  I began with a 5k run on Thursday and a very brisk 30k bike ride on Friday.  I will be saddling up again this afternoon for another round of cycling for which I will exchange my mountain bike for my fixed gear bike just to keep things interesting.  I have no hopes of 30k today, but I plan to ride to failure and pray I don’t have to push my bicycle back home.  Tomorrow will be more running, and so on.  The mild temperatures promise that I should be able to maintain this pursuit well into the winter months.  I am glad to have this time to devote to fitness as the lack of farm related toil requires additional work on my end to stay fit and active.  I am not the only one to benefit from this new focus on recreation.  The wife was offered an opportunity over the weekend to “saddle up” as well.  We left a farm full of horses (the wife’s passion) and she has not been the same since.  A friend arranged a riding lesson for her on Saturday and despite her insistence that she didn’t have the time, we made the necessary concessions for her to attend.  My wife does not need lessons mind you.  She has been on horseback since she was knee high to a grasshopper, but this would be her first attempt at “English” riding and a little instruction is always helpful.  Being a gear head, I was also insistent on kitting her up with all the riding gear for her new hobby.  The pants are some funny shit.  David Lee Roth would be proud.  I am glad to see her back in her element and the time it takes away from other activities is well worth it, just to see the light in her eyes.

The weekend was the first true test of academic fortitude as well.  The eldest had a butt load of homework and he was none too thrilled with the idea.  His teacher is a gem and has made concessions for his lack of langague in assigning different tasks for him than the other students in an attempt to get his language caught up to where it needs to be.  The sad truth of the matter though is that this means that he has to complete twice the work the other students have to do and it did finally bring him to tears in the darkened hours of Sunday evening.  I was sad to see him struggle, but reminded him that when it seems tough, he needs to ask himself but one question.  Is he ok being Average, or does he want to be Great.  We both know the answer to that question.  The tears dried and a smile returned as he finished his assigned task.  It is this value in hard work and dedication that his parents hold so dear that will see him through.  Overall, the Autumn finds us happy and health here in France but missing the familiar sights and sounds of home all the same.  That will never change.  We all love France and the opportunity we have been provided, but we are American and are proud of that fact.  Though our country is presently broken and battered, it is still a worthy place to call home.  We look forward to the coming holidays and our return for a visit to recharge our batteries.  It will be a trip a year in the making and while we are the same at heart, we are scarcely the same family that left Eastern Kansas so many months ago.  I only hope our friends and family recognize us upon our return.  Despite our many changes, my wife and I still struggle with the language.  I wish this were not the case, but it is perhaps one of the hardest things I have ever tried to learn.  It is perhaps the biggest lesson I have learned since I have been here and one which I think everyone in the world could benefit from.  I will leave you today with the following thoughts on cultural acceptance . . .

It has been a failing of my youth to be all too ethnocentric in my beliefs.  I would have been the first to criticize an immigrant for not understanding the English language and I had very little compassion or understanding of a day in the life of one who is trying to make a life in a foreign land.  I am now quite ashamed of this narrow minded viewpoint.  Bless them all for their courage.  This is not an easy task and not for the weak of heart.  So, if you have a problem with the immigrant at the local market, restaurant or convenience store . . . FLUCK YOU . . . have some flied lice and just chill.  True beauty in life is found in its diversity.  I learned that from a Frog.  Take care and speak again soon . . . hopefully.  R.  

0 comments: