Monday, February 21, 2011

Abandoning ALL we have ever known . . .

Our story begins three days ago, so I have a bit of catching up to do.  My hope is that this will eventually be a "realtime" account of my experiences and my life as I understand them.  As a simple matter of good house keeping I think it best to provide a bit of a history lesson.  This may shed some light on the author and make sense of all of this, if in fact any sense is to be made of it at all.  We are from Middle America, the midwest, the God fearing buckle of the bible belt.  This is a place where men are men and sheep are nervous, a place where Nascar is a religion and front teeth are optional.  Please to not misunderstand these observations.  This is a place I love, a place that I would defend jealously as a momma bear defends her cubs.  It is, however, a place of many downfalls. 

I am an attorney by profession and misfortune.  Third generation to be exact.  The men before me?  Drunkards and degenerates, guardians of the truth, poet saints . . . the voice of those who cannot speak.  This is what made them great.  This is what made them my heroes.  This is what made me who I AM.  To be honest, my choice in career was made for me.  It wasn't as though I spent hours in a high school guidance counseler's office pouring over my options.  Math and Science were never my strong suit and as I am sure you can already tell, I like to hear myself talk.  These factors culminated themselves into a promising legal career.

You see, life has a way of balancing the equation so to speak.  The loss of a job, a transition from lawyer to full time dad and an opportunity in my bride's career that could not be denied.  An opportunity that was a long way from where we called home.  This is where we find ourselves.

0 comments: