Monday, March 26, 2012

Good Grief Charlie Brown


Due to a lack of better judgment on my part, I have spent the last 48 hours unable to move off of my couch.  The wife and I spent a very long day tackling a 33 kilometer hike in and out of the Dordogne River valley.  Not having properly prepared for such a feat . . . er . . . feet, I find the very thought of placing shoes upon my aching feet absolute fools game.  The relatively guilt free hiatus from my usual domestic musings has left me some extra time to collect my thoughts and finish a handful of posts that have been in varying stages of incubation for the better part of a week now.  Yet, today, none of these seem more important to me than saying the following words:  Good Bye.   News came in early this morning that my grandmother passed away at 9:45 central standard time yesterday evening.  And so I ask myself, how is one supposed to feel when a loved one has passed and you live so far from home?  Should I feel sorrow, remorse, anger or regret?  Should I spend the day grieving and shedding heartfelt tears of sadness and woe?  If I did so, would this be an apt tribute to the woman who gave my father life?  Would it do her justice for me to suddenly feel sorry for myself because I am now unable to make up for lost time?  I believe the answer to be a resounding NO.  You see, my grandmother and I have not been terribly close throughout my adult life and for this perhaps we are both to blame.  It was, after all, her indirect influence on my life that has given me this hard fought lack of mournful sentimentality.  And though this may sound odd, I believe it is the best gift she has ever given me.  Through my father she taught me not to feel sorry for myself and to be stubbornly independent regardless of the hardship faced.  To this end, I have committed myself not to feel bad for my loss because to do so would be self-serving and not what she has taught.  Instead I choose to celebrate her life and that part of it I shared with her, brief though it may have been.  This in my mind is the better part of grief . . . “Good grief” if you will.


My Grandmother

For as long as I can remember
my grandmother was a real bad ass
She drank beer from a straw on Sundays
sometimes in a Flash Gordon glass.

She preferred that I smoke cigarettes
than chew bubble gum in her midst
Interrupt her Austin City Limits
and surely she’d be pissed

Whenever we would visit
I knew just where she’d be found
Perched atop an old porch swing
sipping brew without a sound

If ever the swing was empty
you need only follow your nose
In a kitchen seasoned with bacon fat
is where she watched her shows

Beneath her tough exterior
beat a warm and gentle heart
Before I went outside to play
Chapstick would play its part

She never missed my birthday
Her gift was well prepared
5 Dollars in a greeting card
And a note to say she cared

I never called her by a pet name
and she simply called me Ry
Be my hair too long or short
it never missed her eye

And now I bid farewell
to this lady that I love
Know I’m trying to do you proud
as you watch us from above

           Ry

0 comments: